Monday 30 July 2012

ELCAF 17/06/2012

To be honest I should have blogged this a while back, but for some reason or other I just haven't got round to it. Anyway, the East London Comics & Arts Festival was happening on the 17th of June, shortly after my return from Leeds. So me and my brother decided to travel down to London and check it all out.

Initially we did not really know what to expect, who was going to be there and how the whole event was going to pan out. With this in mind, we managed to to make our way there, through the miserable depths of what is London. An almost impossible journey to say the least. On our way I managed to take a pictures of some of the street art and graffiti littered around Shoreditch. As much as this is a common, generic procedure of tourism attraction, I still found some of the murals and paintings exceptionally well crafted and wonderful. It seems to be, okay to create pieces of artwork, graffiti on the walls of this part of london but in a weird cultural approach. As the whole atmosphere seems to be extremely pretentious, and benign in some ways. I'm guessing the majority of London is like this though, unfortunately.

STREET ART / GRAFFITI PHOTOGRAPHS _






-

ELCAF_


One of the main reasons for actually going to the event was to ultimately meet Mcbess. An Illustrator I have idolised for the passed couple of years or so. Luckily I managed to but only briefly, not long enough to actually hold a conversation on artwork and whatnot. Anyway, he was an inspiring dude to say the least.

The overall event, contained a huge number of comic illustrators and publishers. Unfortunately I found it hard to speak to them all as the large crowd that had turned up. Those I did manage too, told me about a few of their techniques within screen printing and other processes.

-
I picked up a few comics, short stories and prints whilst at the festival and managed to speak to a few of the artists featured at the event. What I found the most interesting and useful, within my own creative field. Was the overall application, promotion and culture in which the illustrators reside in. Taking this, with also the quality of screen printed publications I feel I could try and incorporate this into my own practice, to effectively allow myself to become a more successful and professional designer.



- Met Mcbess, super cool dude. 

MCBESS / The Dead Pirates_

Got to see The Dead Pirates too. Ace!

No comments:

Post a Comment