Sunday 30 December 2012

Five Studios

-
Finding five particular studios relevant to my own practice seems to be difficult as I do not want to predominantly work within a graphic design environment in general. Below are a list of creative agencies, artists, vinyl toy makers and printers that I feel I could potentially work alongside or collaborate with.


1. Monorex Creative Agency

Without a doubt Monorex is probably one of my favourite creative agencies I've came across. Last year I contacted them about a visit which unfortunately did not happen due to a double booking. That hasn't put me off at all though, I've recently contacted them again about another visit, which I'm waiting on for a reply. The main reason I find this agency potentially synergetic is the approach to the work it produces. Everything is predominantly visual, focussing on murals, illustration and a more hands on approach with clients. They seem to be working a lot with retail brands such as Reebok, Umbro and Adidas. Something I would eventually like to get involved with myself as a creative. Ultimately It would be extremely useful to actually see how they work in order to broaden my understanding of the industry.


2. HEART Studio

I came across HEART studio a while ago through a band called Gold Kids on Anchors Aweigh records. What instantly amazed me was the overall quality and intricate detail each illustration and piece of design work has. No corners cut here. The only main issue I have is they are based in Italy, and unfortunately I cannot see myself venturing there any time soon. That aside, I plan to contact them and ask them about their creative process within the industry. Their works mainly involve t-shirt designs, screen prints and type work for bands and clothing companies. Aesthetically there is a clear relation to the culture and people involved, again the direction I want to take my own work in. As they are printed based designers I feel that my own practice could potentially be synergetic to this studio.

3.  Dude Box

Vinyl toy creators who produce a platform for artists to collaborate and put their own mark on custom product. What makes them more appealing is they are based in the UK, London. Making it easier to reach and contact. Looking through their website and product range, it is clear they want to 'inspire to create' a mission statement in which they live by. As application is the most important route to any aspiring illustrator, there is a clear relation to utilising their custom toy range to your own in order to further a potential reach of client audience. Either collaborating with them as an illustrator utilising one of their products would be beneficial, or even working within their studio and factory would allow a further investigation into this particular industry.

4. Nobrow Press

Nobrow Press in my eyes are probably one of the best comic book producers. The quality of each magazine and book they produce has a definite feel of dedication and justice to the artists / illustrators that have contributed. Last summer they were based at the East London Comic & Arts Festival, which I had the opportunity to go down and visit. Speaking with them about their work and what they do in terms of practice was important in gaining my own understanding to how I could myself further my illustration within the creative industry. Looking through their website they have internships available, something that I am particularly interested in to allow myself a chance to build up a network and potential opportunities. As they are a essentially a printing firm, it would allow a greater understanding within production processes and marketing.

5. Skull & Heart

Skull & Heart are an East London based printing agency that produced and work with some of the best illustrators / artists from the UK and internationally. As they are more of a collaborative company, they produced prints with with their logo incorporated and a brief related directly related with the artists interpretation. Although they are not strictly a studio, I feel it would be interesting to work with them as the produced print process driven visual works with a high quality finish. This is something I aim to develop as a designer and hopefully promote my own print range, where I can sell my illustrations to a wider market, learning valuable skills alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment